[Duo2400] Re: [OT]: Things just Macs can do...;-)

Eric L. Strobel fyzycyst at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 08:30:21 PDT 2003

on 04/09/03 11:22 AM, Clark Martin at cmmac at sonic.net wrote:

>>> Unless the prices have changed those adapters were about as expensive
>>> as the monitor.  And these days it would be cheaper to get an LCIII
>>> or Q605 or whatever to replace the LC.
>>>

>> GAK!!  Where were you buying those?  Even 'back in the day' these things
>> were only about $35 or so.  NEC gave them away like candy if you owned one
>> of their monitors (I don't even recall them checking very hard, and there
>> may have been some nominal shipping charge).
>

> The basic Mac-VGA adapters are cheap true.  I was talking about (and
> thought you were) the Sync-on-Green adapters that take Sync-on-Green
> and extract the sync signals that most VGA monitors use.  Those are
> the pricey buggers.

Right.  I may be off by a few bucks, but they were never anywhere near the
cost of the monitor (i.e., hundreds of dollars).  I think you really just
need one of the Griffin MacSync adapters with the two rows of DIP switches.
I've no idea if anyone still carries these.  I seem to recall that the one I
got years ago was in the $40 price range.

- Eric.
--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)