[Duo2400] STILL NEED TECH SUPPORT HELP!!!!! memory problem?UPDATED

tom bonacci bonacci at ascend.com
Thu Apr 24 09:08:14 PDT 2003

I went through similar problems with memory in a PB2400.  I purchased a
64MB card from an authorized Apple dealer and they forcefully maintained
it was compatible with the PB2400.  I installed it in two different
PB2400s and it worked in neither - both showed only 16mb after booting
(MacOS 8.0).  The Apple dealer then swapped the 64mb card for another
but it, too, did not work in either PB2400.  When I insisted on a
refund, the Apple dealer's tech folks were grumbling that both my 2400s
must be damaged in some way.

I then ordered a 64mb card from DMS (www.datamem.com) and it worked
perfectly in both PB2400s.

Here's the deal:  Although they are physically identical, the memory
compatible with the original iBook is not electrically compatible with
the PB2400.  You may have an iBook memory card which is simply
incompatible with your PB2400.

The MacOS 8.6 Installer insists that there be at least 24mb of RAM in
the machine before it will allow an installation.  I've never tried to
boot a machine with 16mb and MacOS 8.6 but I wouldn't be surprised if it
would bomb.  You may have a combination of two problems here - first you
need to install memory which can be recognized by the Mac and then and
only then can you install and boot with MacOS 8.6.  If your machine has
only 16mb of useful memory, then you'll need to boot with MacOS 8.0 or
other System capable of running within 16mb.

-tom