[Duo2400] Hard Drives

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Thu Apr 24 22:18:53 PDT 2003

>Hi,
>
>I have a 12G Toshiba IDE HD that I am planning to put into my 2400. Anyone
>have any problems with large hard drives?
>
>Cheers,  Keith

Keith, storage size won't be a problem and both 9.5mm and 12.5mm
drivers are acceptable..though some say the 9.5 may not conduct heat
as well.  Make sure you are getting good contact  if you are using
the 9.5mm.   My 30GB 9.5mm works fine.

MCE discovered some problems with the early Toshiba drives, but I
think that was back when 4GB was considered big, circa 98-99.

Partitioning makes sense, but doesn't really cause or mitigate any
problems.  SCSI Mode issues begin at 4GB, but there's been various
discussions as to whether a 4GB drive is the same as a 4GB partition
as far as SCSI Mode is concerned.

I'd have at least one 2GB partition with a clean system install,
minimum extensions and your HD utilities loaded to use as your
troubleshooting startup disk.

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.