Networking 2 Macs

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Sat Apr 26 10:22:12 PDT 2003

Marc Sira wrote:

>If you're running File Sharing on OS 9 and find the performance increase
>unspectacular (due to the issues I mentioned before), consider using
>something
>other than Personal File Sharing. One fairly easy choice is to run a Hotline
>server on one machine and the client on the other. There are other choices
>too
>(an FTP server, a web server) but Hotline is fast and easy to set up, and the
>client and server software can be downloaded free from the web. You can also
>try Personal Web Sharing if you like, but I've found the performance pretty
>poor. Finally it should be quite possible to set up one of the newer
>peer-to-peer filesharing apps so each machine could see the other (Mactella,
>for instance), but it might also require a little work.
>
>Whatever you choose, it will work using the same impromptu IP network you
>configured earlier.
Good suggestion, and since I'm running a box with several services of
this very type I figured this to be good op to see how fast they are. I
usually choose TB2 to quickly move big files to and from the server.

Over my 10/100 LAN from my household server* I get these numbers.
Strangely, _sometimes_ I get 3 MB/s from Timbuktu but I have yet to
figure out why only _sometimes_.

I get similar speeds to 10BT-only clients (except for the 3MB/s-TB2 thing
of course.)

* 9500/200/96ram/OS 9.1
free           speed
Carracho           730KB/S
<http://www.carracho.com>
Mac only, requires OS9 or X

shareware
Hotline v1.23      720KB/S
This has clients available for many platforms and OSes
I use an old version, but latest at:
<http://www.bigredh.com>

for more info on HL and Carracho, and to find HL and C. servers on the
net:
<http://www.tracker-tracker.com/>

not free
Timbuktu (TCP/IP)    1MB/S
AppleShareIP 6.33  680KB/s

I'll toss in another set of not-necessarily-related data here. I found an
interesting speed difference among clients/servers when testing speeds of
WiFi vs. wired:

same server/LAN, SMC WiFi AP
         Timbuktu (TCP/IP)     Carracho
             w    s    a      w    s    a
PB500PPC   350	 250	  NA	   290  300	  NA
PB3400    1024	 250	  NA	   325	 350   NA
Pismo     1024	 250	 250	   425	 560	 460
w = cat5 wire
s = Orinoco Silver
a = AirPort built-in

TB2's speeds varied dramatically between wire and WiFI, where Carracho's
speeds did not. TB2 is _much_ faster over the wire on the two modern PBs
than Carracho, but Carracho kicks TB2's butt wirelessly. Maybe it was
just a quirk of _my_ setup, I'll try some other tests another time.

Dan K

my public servers, all are welcome to stop by...
     (sorry, nothing naughty, just lots of Mac tech info):
<carracho://bobabooey.dhs.org:9700>
<hotline://bobabooey.dhs.org:9500>