off topic jargon

Andy Nicholl andy at andynic.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 00:53:37 PDT 2003

My pet hates are:
'envision' (which means to impart a vision to...) instead of 'envisage' (to
have avision oneself)
'deteriate' instead of 'deteriORate'
'different than' instead of 'different from'
'compared to' instead of 'compared with'
and the dreaded split infinitive - 'to bravely go...'

You can tell I'm still waiting for my 2400 to arrive ...

Regards to all,

Andy

Andy Nicholl
Dunfermline, Scotland
fax: 0870 130 4955
email: andynic at bigfoot.com

> ... punch everybody I hear misusing the word 'decimate.'

Isn't that from the old Roman practice of rounding up
100 of the enemy of the moment, tying them to posts
arranged in a circle then slitting the throat of
every 10th man until only one survivor was left to
send back to tell the tale?

Great story - very gory.  I thought it just meant to reduce to a tenth.