off topic jargon

Greg M pailface88 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 05:46:27 PDT 2003

> > A bit off topic but of concern to me (read "pet pieve").
> > Does anyone else notice or care how we misuse technical words to
> the
> > point that they don't mean what they are supposed to?
>
> Sure, but it's poor, careless spelling that really get me going! Pet
> whaaaaaaat?
>
> Bob F

I realize that my spelling could use improvement and for that I
apologize. Word usage is important also though such as writing "get" if
you mean "gets". My original comment was with regard to how we allow
the meaning of technical terms to change to the point that it becomes
difficult to understand what is really being said. For example, "I
think I may have a bad PRAM". Does this mean "I think the paramater RAM
is corrupt" or does it mean "I think the PRAM battery is bad"? It
depends on how we interpret the statement. It could go either way.

Greg