[Duo2400] Re: Duo 230 Dead PRAM or Battery

Tom and Lisa P gionpeters at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 16:09:56 PDT 2003

>In a message dated 8/5/03 11:46:11 AM, CDerose at Merion.com writes:
>
><< I had a hard time starting it up from the adapter and my clock is reset to
>1/1/04 after I finally got it to boot from the power adapter.  Could it be
>both?  Could the PRAM battery prevent the battery from charging?  >>
>
>Sounds like a dead/discharged PRAM batt.  As it is actually a rechargeable
>battery, leave the unit connected to the AC adapter for a day or
>two, reset the
>power manager and try again.  Actually, try resetting the PM FIRST, then
>charge, then reset it again.
>
>Andrew

While I havnt confirmed this for sure, I have a theory why Duo PRAMs
go bad so easily.  Most PRAMs I have looked at have one of the 2
cells nearly dead, while the other is a lot closer to the charged 3.0
V.  I _think_ when the PRAM gets charged up, it looks at either cell
for 3.0 V.  When one hits the voltage, it stops charging.  This
results in one cell being ok, while the other one never gets a full
charge.  I made a little adapter that charges only one cell, and that
gets both to 3.0 V.  After that the PRAM seems to do better.

On the other hand, I could just be nuts.

Mad Dog