[Duo/24000] Ideas Wanted For Long-term Laptop

wayne ingalls ingallsw at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 6 19:26:33 PDT 2003

Dan wrote:
> Not really a consumer product, but seems like most new harddrives
> arrive
> in a sealed moisture-and-static-proof bag with a desiccant pouch
> inside.
> Which I assume is what you mean by 'use properly'. BTW, normal/regular
> static-proof bags are not rated to be 'moisture proof'.

Right. Use properly means that you calculate the volume of the bag,
make sure it _is_ an adequate moisture barrier, then hermetically
seal it so that no more moisture can enter from the outside air.
Almost all desiccant I see in packages doesn't use a barrier bag,
doesn't seal it, and even if you overlooked those two mistakes, isn't
anywhere near the correct quantity to absorb the amount of
moisture contained in the bag.

> Nutz, so does that mean I can't 'renew' my desiccant sack collection,
> say by heating in a lowtemp oven for a few hours?

You could do that, but if you don't have a good barrier and/or don't
seal it to prevent outside air from leaking in, you're just wasting your
time.

>> To  protect against corrosion you need a
>> different material, usually a special paper
>> called VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor).
>> This treated paper keeps giving off vapors
>> that provide protection against corrosion.
> Cool stuff (of which I'm aware), but have none. Where can I buy me
> some?

There must be one or more general packaging suppliers in your area, but
I'd imagine that their minimum orders might prove to be a problem.

>  I can't imagine such a commercial product would be cheap, but the
> idea of using a largeish, moisture-proof (or -resistant) sealable box
> may appeal to the OP. Big ex-mil ammo cans come to mind.

A large can with a good tight seal would do the trick. When you buy
desiccant packs they normally come in the same cans as used for
paint. There's no chance of any moisture leaking through them,
even after years of storage. If the OP lives in a humid environment,
looking for some surplus military storage cans could be the best bet.
As you (or someone else?) pointed out, there would also likely be
problems with the batteries dying which is unrelated to moisture
or corrosion.

good luck!
-wayne