[Duo2400] What do you neeed to install OS 9.1 on a 2400?

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 22:28:19 PDT 2003

--- John Bevan <johnbevan at earthlink.net> wrote:
> When I tried to use my iBook CD to install 9.2 onto
> my daughter's 2400, it
> wouldn't install.  Is there a way?

Get a retail 9.1 CD, then if you must have 9.2 or
9.2.2
go to http://www.os9forever.com and download the
free OS9 Helper. Then you'll also need the original
Self Mounting Image .smi files for the 9.2 and 9.2.2
Updates. (And LOTS of hard drive space!) The 9.2
update
is very large.

OS9 Helper reads the smi files then creates new image
files with the update installer patched to work on
most PowerMacs prior to the original Beige G3.

You MUST have the original .smi files for the updates
with their original filenames. OS9 Helper is
programmed
to accept only the original files. I had to download
them a second time because I'd copied the contents out
of the image files then deleted them. :P

To install 9.1 on a supported Mac older than the G3,
you must boot from the 9.1 CD.

Going beyond 9.1 on a NuBus PowerMac or clone is not
recommended. Apparently some people have had problems
with using the NuBus slots.

=====
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." Hiro Protagonist