[Duo2400] Re: Duo 280c/PPC OS?

ElBrio at aol.com ElBrio at aol.com
Fri Aug 15 08:26:24 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/15/03 11:13:32 AM, larry.s.f at mindspring.com writes:

<< So 8.1 with speed doubler isn't faster than 7.6?
~ Larry, Darn Good Design >>

Hmmm....having never sat them side by side so can't really say.  To me, the
7.5.3 '040 machine is "snappier" than the 8.1 PPC machine.  The early PPCs were
not that much faster than '040s w/the older code.  Ask anyone who had the
Quadra 840 and then bought a PPC 7100 or 6100.  (waving hand and yelling, "pick
me!  pick me!")

Of course, you can't run PPC only apps on an '040, either!  If you do 8.1,
run SpeedDoubler.  Should speed up the "mixed" apps as SD put PPC only code in
place of fat code for finder searches, etc. (too many years ago...don't
remember which parts SD replaced!!)  Worth it.  Also, there are apps which require
8.1 or later, so compatibility is better.  I'm going to load 8.6 onto one Duo
just for grins....I have a satellite tracking program which runs under 8.6 or
newer....should be interesting.

Andrew