2300c/9.1 CD-ROM question

Joe Hartley hartley at childrenmuseum.org
Mon Dec 1 07:59:22 PST 2003

I have a pair of Duo 2300c's with a single docking station.  The Duos
came with a minimal 7.5.2 installed, which is not new enough to put an
AppleShare client on, so I upgraded one of them to MacOS 9.1.  That's
when things got interesting...

Because I don't have the rectangular SCSI cable that would fit on the
back, I popped the cover of the docking unit and ran a 50 pin SCSI
cable from the internal SCSI port to a CD-ROM that's in an old UMAX
c500.  (All I needed was the CD-ROM and the power supply.)  This worked
great under 7.5.2, but now that I've bumped up to 9.1, no CD I put in
the drive comes up on the desktop.

Has anyone seen this before??  Thanks!!