Can't Delete Claris Emailer 2 downloads from HD

Jack Corcoran jkcorcor at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 20:58:02 PST 2003

Hi Listers,

I'm having some puzzling problems while attempting to
delete Claris Emailer downloads from the 280 hard
drive. The downloaded files, HTML and others, are
stored on the HD under the Claris eMailer Folder. Its
always been this way and always worked good. However,
when I recently tried to delete the vexing
accumulation of HTML files (mostly from Spam) via the
standard procedure, i.e.,  dragging the file and
dropping it onto the Trash can, nothing happened...the
Trash icon highlights but the can doesn't open up and
the file remains on the Finder. Rebuilding the desktop
doesn't help.  I tried a restart with extensions off
but the deletion problems remained. I should emphasize
here that its only the Claris Emailer downloads that
act this way.  Deletion of other apps via the
drag/drop method is not affected.

There is a side effect to all this: under the present
situation, file deletion attempts (Claris Emailer
downloads, only) foul the Finder.  As soon as the file
is "dropped" on the Trash can, the Finder becomes
unresponsive to the mouse and its not possible to quit
the application.  However, the Finder can be "hidden"
and the e-mail functions are normal in that mail can
be sent/received.  But, alas, to get out of the
Finder, its necessary to do a Force Quit which closes
the page but also sometimes results in a freeze.

Any/all ideas on how to overcome this situation
sincerely appreciated.

Jack C.