Browsers

Robert Friede rlf9 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 4 16:35:04 PST 2003

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 08:27  AM, Duo/2400 List wrote:

> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:18:25 -0900
> From: Stephen <sbodnar at gci.net>
> Subject: [Duo2400] Re: Browsers
>
> Art -
>
> I had best luck with Netscape 4.5 and 4.8 on my old Duo 2300c.
> It had 40 mb RAM and still swapped out to disk a lot, but out
> of Icab, IE, Mozilla, and Opera even it wuz the best. I found
> Mozilla to be horribly unstable.
>
> It would really help you to find a Global Village external 56K.
> They work fantastic on the Duos, even with really noisy phone
> lines - you haven't lived until you've worked over a dialup in
> bush Alaska!
>
> Hope this helps,
>   Stephen

I'd like to add that over years of living in the Maine boonies I've
had great success using a Diamond SupraExpress external 56K serial
modem.
Unlike with GV, you don't need to install any extra software for it to
run
just fine on the Mac OS.

As for browsers, there's surely no accounting for taste. Some prefer
today's
iCab (which still offers even a 68K version) or the venerable and
reasonably
bug-free but noncompliant Netscape 4.8, but there's a terrific,
debugged version
of Mozilla 1.3.x for Classic available these days from <wamcom.org/>
which seems
by far the best of the lot!

Bob F