[Duo2400] Re: USR 56k Sportster external modem problem

Art Rice artrice66 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 22:11:46 PST 2003

Thanks to everyone that responded to my external modem
questions! I installed FreePPP as Josh suggested. (I
crashed the PPP in the process of setting up the
accounts and modem, but after about a day of figuring
out and playing with the files, then re-installing
FreePPP, it works.) I found I had to leave my password
blank, and enter it manually or FreePPP wouldn't
connect. A software bug I guess. I also set the serial
port speed selection to 57.6k as suggested by Stephen.
There was no place to select a brand or model of
modem, but I had placed the USR High Speed file in
Extensions. I was able to download web pages that
previously were unusable with the 14.4k internal
modem! It's a great improvement.(Using Netscape 4.01
with Java and Javascript disabled.) THANKS AGAIN!

I will try iCab next, once I update Java Runtime, etc.
to the necessary revision levels. I downloaded the 68k
version for OS 7.0-8.1 since the Power PC version said
it needed OS 7.6 or higher.

I found out the 2300c OS is 7.5.3 Rev 2. I located the
7.5.5 upgrade on the Apple support website, but I
won't try to install it until I've had a rest. I've
never upgraded an OS on a Mac, want to be well read
before jumping into it!

Art in Silicon Valley

http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/comm/inet/conn/