[Duo2400] Re: USR 56k Sportster external modem problem

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 22:27:33 PST 2003

--- Josh Keady <joshkeady at msn.com> wrote:
> That's the nice thing about the USR modems, they use
> a very standard
> set of commands so that just about any device can
> talk to them.

I have an external USR 33.6 voice modem that will not
work properly with a Mac. I got it to dial but no
matter what cable I tried or software settings, once
it dialed through to the ISP, no more data was allowed
to pass in either direction.

I have a much newer USR 56k voice modem with both
serial and USB connections. Currently it's running
on the serial port on my PC, had to update the
firmware to make it Win 2K/XP compatable. USR says
it will not work with a Mac and it probalby won't
due to something USR has planted in the firmware to
stop it from doing so. I dunno how they do it, but
USR has made several external modems that are NOT
software driven and require nothing but an INF file
for Windows (or just an init string for Linux etc)
that will not work with a Mac. Usually they had
an equivalent Macintosh version of the same modem
for a much higher price. Even nastier is some of
those "Mac only" modems work fine with a PC.

Other modem shenanigans happen with other brands.
There's one model of BestData that's a 56K FAX/modem,
no voice features. The going price is usually around
$50. It's marketed as a "Mac" modem but it works
perfectly fine with a PC. Just use a PC type cable
and download the INF from BestData. Nobody sells
the "PC" version of that modem, they only sell the
next model up with voice features, for $80 to $90!

So if you want a good, affordable 56K modem for Mac
or PC, try the BestData 56SX2MAC.

=====
"You never have to repair or replace what you leave out of the design."
William "Bill" Powell Lear, inventor of the 8-Track tape and the Lear Jet.