2400c: OS 8.6 or 9.x?

Scott's Lists lists at detwiler.us
Tue Dec 23 21:51:52 PST 2003

Here's my experience,

I ran 9.1 on the stock 180 MHz processor for about a year and was very
satisfied.
For a comparison, at the same time I had a PowerMac 6100 with a 210 MHz
G3 upgrade card in it. On that machine, 9.1 was very pokey; I went back
to 8.6. So, I think have an idea of when 9.1 is too much.

This summer I put a G3 card in my 2400c. The difference was noticeable,
but not particularly dramatic. I'd have few qualms about going back to
the stock 180 with 9.1 if I had to.

I think the bus speed on the 2400 must be just enough to give what 9.1
needs.

That's my € 0.0161184.

Scott