[Duo2400] 2400c G3 Card questions

Chuck Kenney kenneyc at mac.com
Wed Dec 24 21:08:05 PST 2003

Bah.

I put the G4 thermal paste on the die of the G3, and made it thick enough to
contact the heat pad inside the PowerBook's case.  Installed it, it booted
twice (locking up both times), and the proceeded to create a GLOD.  I
swapped the card out, booted, then back in; got it to boot one more time,
again locking up during boot.

The machine works fine with the stock 603e 180Mhz processor installed, but
only give me a GLOD with the G3 installed now.  I've done a simple
continuity test of the components on the card, and it looks like 6-10 of the
surface mount resistors and capacitors are toast.

I'm sure I shorted it out during one of the installs.  I'm not in the mood
to do more extensive testing of the parts, or try to track down replacements
right now.  If I decide to attempt to actually repair the card, I'll let the
list know how it goes.

I should call up some of the old Newer Tech engineers that I know and see if
they can repair the card.  :D

Thanks all,

--
Chuck Kenney