macsforamigas.com?

Milton Lukins Milton at MiltonLukins.com
Sat Feb 1 00:08:58 PST 2003

Dear Listers,

This is only on topic to the degree that it refers to Macs.  At the risk of
getting thrown off the list...  Here goes...

I had a girlfriend who was a widow.  She died in August 2000 from a brain
anyeurism that ruptured suddenly.  Her three children were orphaned.  The
youngest, a daughter (Heather), was 6 months old when her father died, 12
when her mother died, and has just turned 15.  After spending over a year
in various foster homes in Texas she has been living with her tio and tia in
Mexico.  They are now her legal guardians.  They are Mexican citizens.
Heather is a US citizen, born in Richmond, VA.  She speaks English and
Spanish fluently.  Her last year and a half of school has been totally in
Spanish. Heather is a very good student.  Anyone familiar with Mexican
culture also knows that at 15 she is now officially a "senorita".

She has been using a creaky PC and a hotmail account to keep in touch with
her brothers, relatives, and friends in the US.  About a month ago it died.
There is no dinero to replace it with.  I think her extended family has come
to depend a great deal on her social security check.  They are great people
who take very good care of Heather but times is hard.

I have decreed that Heather should have a Mac.  Not necessarily a
laptop/notebook. Most likely an Imac.  However, times is hard in the US as
well.

I write this on my 6100/66.  I also use it to read the Duo List daily.
The LIST is always edifying, usually entertaining, sometimes amusing, but
NEVER boring.

I could probably muster the shipping and send Heather the 6100 but a) I am
emotionally attached to it, and b) I would have to transfer everything from
the 6100 to my 2300c and then depend solely on it.  Not a likely prospect
right now.  Not only am I poor, I am also dumb.  I have yet to figure out
how to do this.  I hope someday to learn enough from the Duo List to upgrade
the 2300c to OS 8.6. and make it work, act, feel, and smell like the the
familiar 6100. But that is another post.

THE QUESTION:  Might there exist a charitable organization, institution,
corporation or generous individual somewhere who would be willing to donate
a MAC to a worthy Mexican-American girl (er.. ah...senorita rather).  Just
something humble that a 15 year old could use and not need a Phd. from Duo
List University.  It doesn't HAVE to have a CD burner or DVD.

I am willing to pay for shipping to Nuevo Leon, Mexico.

Should it make a difference I have some Duo stuff that I may reluctantly
part with.

Feel free to contact me offline.
Any input/suggestions/references would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for listening.
--
Milton Lukins
703-869-1421