[Duo2400] 2300c External CD ROM

David Gass dgass at swbell.net
Thu Feb 13 22:11:37 PST 2003

> I inherited the 2300c from my granddaughter. I saved everything to an
> external SCSI HD and then installed OS 9.1 and APS Tools and CD ROM
> Toolkit. She had an external HD and CD ROM drive (Pioneer).
> It will not boot from the CD using the "C" key at startup or using the
> Startup Control Panel. Is this normal?

When using CD-ROM Toolkit, you need to use the "DOCS"
(Delete+Option+Command+Shift) key sequence to boot to a CD

> Sometimes a software CD will mount when inserted and sometimes I need
> to run APS Power Tools to get the CD to mount.  I can live with this
> My problem is in getting a music CD to mount. I was playing around with
> this on the weekend and on occasion it would mount and would play
> through my external amp/speakers. Most of the time I get a message that
> it needs to be initialized. (I do not know what I did to get it to
> play.)   :-((

 Is the version of CD-ROM Toolkit you are using compatible with OS 9.1 and
the Pioneer CD? OS9.1 seems like overkill on a 2300. It's probably very
slow. I usually use 8.1 to 8.6 and many think that is overkill. Also, do you
have the required amount of physical memory to run OS9.1?(24MB??)

> Would getting an old Apple CD ROM do the trick?

It would probably work great as long as you removed or disabled the CD-ROM
Toolkit extension and made sure the Apple CD-ROM extension was loading. In
this case, holding the "C" key should work

    David
    dgass at swbell.net