2400c problem/question (solved) (long)

J & HH kokoro at sea.plala.or.jp
Sat Feb 15 05:03:58 PST 2003

Thanks to all who responded to my original questions (post) - pasted below
-(hope that's ok at the bottom?)

Thought maybe I'd share what I learned just in case someone wants to do any
file sharing between a 2400 and a Powerbook Pismo (aka Firewire).

After figuring out how to shave the Japanese version of 9.1 down small
enough to fit it on the Ram Disk with enough RAM left to run the system, I
managed to reformat the hard drive but I didn't want to do it until I was
sure I could connect to the Pismo via IrDA so I could put something back on
the hard drive of the 2400 to start up with.

I discovered this totally by accident but the infrared port on the 2400 and
my Pismo aren't totally compatible.  I noticed that the two computers would
connect fine but as soon as I turned sharing on they would start going into
this juggling act where one would lose it's connection, then reconnect and
just as it reconnected the other would lose it's connection.  This would go
back and forth back and forth endlessly.  I got very frustrated and started
fiddling around behind the computer trying to make sure I had a close and
straight line of sight.

By accident, I noticed that when I covered about half of the port on the
2400 (the inside half toward the center of the laptop) the connection
stabilized and believe it or not, the host (my Pismo) showed up in the
chooser when I clicked on Appleshare!!!  What a moment for me after a week
of frustration.

I make a makeshift setup using an envelope to continuously block half the
infrared window and had no problems from then on out.

I don't know enough about IrDA protocols to understand this but hey, it
worked.  I can't guarantee this will work for everyone as this 2400 has been
opened to upgrade to a 320Mhz processor which may have some relation to this
problem but if you're trying to establish an IrDA connection with no
success, you might give it a try.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and words of wisdom.

Now I just have to talk my friend into selling me this little beauty, I've
kind of gotten attached to it.  :-)

Jason

Original Posting

I volunteered to help a friend set up a 2400c by reformatting his hard drive
and removing the Japanese system that is currently on it.  This was the
beginning of what has proven to be a very frustrating experience.  I've used
Macs for as long as I can remember and am very comfortable with them and
enjoy digging into the system and having fun.  Anyway with that said, I have
to admit I didn't know much about this model.

It certainly is cool though.  Now that I have worked with it for the past
four days, I've discovered that it has a 6GB hard drive which appears not to
be the standard, a 320Mhz processor which I'm almost positive wasn't specd
on this machine and 80Megs of RAM.

First, I'm wondering how to confirm whether or not the card bus upgrade has
been performed? (question #1)

Also, I speak and read Japanese so using the system that is currently on the
machine (9.1 J) is not a problem but my friend who does not and just bought
this machine at a local pawn shop because he always hears me raving about
Macs would really like to be able to make some good use of it.

I figured I would connect to my Powerbook (Pismo 500Mhz) via the IrDA port
and use file sharing to transfer an English system (I know it will take
forever but I'm on vacation so that's ok).  Anyway, I got the two (my Pismo
and the 2400c) to communicate once and transferred only a bootable floppy
because I was going to repartition the hard drive first.  It's currently set
up with 3 partitions! (on a 6 gig drive?)  I then realized that if I
repartition I will lose the ability to network using the IrDA and will be
stuck.  The 2400 has a floppy drive but that's it.  No CD.

After figuring out how to get the thing to reboot from the hard drive
(changed to floppy using HD set up and then didn't have a copy of the
control panel on the floppy - had to zap the PRAM) I can't get the two
machines to share anymore????  The IrDA control panel says they are
connected and I have IrDA selected in AppleTalk and file sharing is on,
drives shared etc. but no go.... When I go to the chooser and click on
AppleShare I see nothing nothing nothing.  I've tried everything I can think
of.

Sorry for such a monster long post as such a new member but I'm getting
desperate.  Maybe I'll just buy the machine from him before I go back to
Japan (currently in Hawaii) and take my time and have fun with it.

Anyway basically I asked two questions

#1 How to determine if Card Bus upgrade has been performed?
#2 Any hints on how to get IrDA networking to work?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice.

Jason