2400 - First disassembly and rounded screw

Edward Nilges nilges at hotpop.com
Mon Feb 17 12:45:14 PST 2003

Hi Tobias. I'm CCing my reply to the list, because it has a few tips that
others might find helpful.

Yes, I'd say go for it. I know I've screwed up things by taking them apart
in the past, but the instructions are very clear so you know exactly what
you're doing at all times. For me, what really made it a cinch was the
"parts storage box" I got at Radio Shack which is really more of a tackle
box (P/N 64-552). For each step that included the removal of screws, I
placed them in the next sequential compartment. The pictures on this site
are also very helpful:

http://members.aol.com/kim/computer/duo/2400cpu/2400upgrade.html

Ivan's instructions are very thorough. The only note on reassembly I can
think of to add would be to make sure the lower edge of the keyboard fits
under the tabs on the heatsink on the left before tightening it down.

Finally, you may not have encountered the somewhat delicate mylar ribbon
cables in your prior experience, but they're pretty easy to work with. I
think it's always better to use your fingers (and nails) to manipulate the
locking tabs, rather than a screwwdriver that can slip and damage something.

good luck!
Ed