[Duo2400] Duo 230 Router Anyone?

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Tue Feb 18 12:53:06 PST 2003

At 12:59 PM -0700 2/18/2003, eyeVee wrote:
>	So, I've had this Duo 230, plus the Duo Dock II, laying around
>for some time now. I think I've decided I want to use it as a router for
>my home net, but I have a couple questions.
>	When docked, I show 24mb RAM and a I think the Duo has a 320mb
>hard drive built in. The ONLY thing I want to do it route and possibly
>serve some small web pages from it like mp3 lists and such.
>	The big question I have is, do I stick with MacOS or try and get
>Linux running on it? I'll obviously need a couple NuBus 10BaseT cards,
>which I don't know where to get info on or if a 68k Linux will support
>them. Is there good enough software for MacOS to run this as a router? A
>web server? System 7.5.3 is installed right now, what's the newest I can
>goto?
>	As you can see I'm no Mac guru, but this little machine is fun
>and I'd like to learn more about it. Right now it just keeps shutting
>off for no apparent reason, and I had the ticking PSU when I plugged it
>in after letting it sit for a year or so. I let it tick and the cap
>charged up eventually though. That'll get me by until I can get to Radio
>Shack. :) Anyhow, any updated or other useful sites on this little
>machine will be of great help. Thank you.

You can do this on the Mac OS with IPNetRouter from
<http://www.sustworks.com>.  It's easier to setup and learn than
Linux is.  You probably only need one NuBus Ethernet cards as there
is the built in Ethernet (you will need a transceiver for it).  24Mb
is plenty of room for doing this.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA