280c modem trouble

B. Dowler bdowler at mts.net
Sun Feb 23 20:09:09 PST 2003

Was having some difficulties in my 280c dialing up.  It would say that the
serial port was busy.  Decided it was time anyways to do a complete hard
drive initialization and reinstall os 7.5.  I also installed Mac Tcp 2.0.6
and Free PPP.  Still has difficulties.  No matter what the configuration
under Free PPP, either internal, printer port, or modem port, the warning
message reads either:
"The modem does not seem to be responding.  PPP was expecting "OK" from
your modem.  Your
	modem may be in use, or it is not ready.  You might try turning the
modem off then on again and clicking "Retry"."  the machine will then crash
out as I try to close the message.  Not sure how to turn off and then turn
on the internal modem.

Or it will read:
"An error occurred while initializing the serial port.  It may already be
in use"

These warnings show up when the 280c is in the dock and hooked up to a
phone line through the pass through or when it is running outside of the
dock and hoocked directly up to a phone line.  I have made sure that Apple
talk has been turned off and that the machine is not hooked up to a
network.  The modem use to work about a 8 months ago and then started
acting funny with the same messages, thus the initialization of the hard
drive and the reinstall of 7.5.  I have noticed that on other opperating
systems there are control panels for the selection of modems, etc.  is this
what I am missing?  Perhaps any other panels, extensions that I have missed
installing? Any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Brad