duo 230 battery

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Tue Feb 25 15:50:16 PST 2003

Then Tom wrote:
>Only the type I batteries take AA cells, all the others take 4/5 AA's.

This is true, and not especially relevant. The type of cell is what's
important, not the physical size. High capacity AA NiMH cells weren't
commonly available when the Types 2 and 3 batteries were introduced,
leading Apple to spec the larger 4/5 A cells. Modern battery technology
allows the same or better capacity in the smaller AA form factor.

Of course one can source even higher capacity 4/5 A cells but the cost
will be higher too. Also the AA size is commonly available, where the 4/5
A is not.

The things I consider important are: the cells must be the correct type,
be chargable and produce the correct voltage, and they must fit inside a
Duo battery case. If they happen to be higher capacity than the
originals, so much the better.

Here's an interesting item for those looking to build a battery pack,
apparently one _can_ solder tabs onto batteries:
<http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCMC2&P=M>

Dan K