[Duo2400] Disassembling seemingly welded cells

Ben Smith ben.smith at qm-systems.com
Wed Feb 26 00:38:07 PST 2003

As you observed, the cells are indeed spot welded together, NEVER try to
solder directly to a cell, the heat will damage it, also do not replace
individual cells in a battery pack, the capacity of new cells will be
different from the old ones and they will charge unevenly, this will lead to
the pack failing sooner than expected, (you can however sometimes use the
best cells from 2 old packs to build 1 good one).
if you can, it is best to have the cells professionally welded (spot welding
is used as it produces very little heat, and what it does produce is highly
localised).
otherwise, always use tabbed cells and try not to use too much heat.
Ben.