[Duo2400] Re: We can close this list now! ;-)

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 15:51:23 PST 2003

>on 1/8/03 20:52, Larry Friedman at larry.s.f at mindspring.com wrote:
>
>> I remember that, but I thought it was only on the Mega G4 Towers
>
>Well, it seems that Apple would make other Macs models, mainly the eMac, due
>to the demands of the north-american educational market.

As you say, they may well only offer the eMac with 9 on it, but probably
to the education market only. The only reason that desktop G4's are being
sold with 9 on them still is because Quark ain't there yet.

My guess is that all existing hardware with the exception of the two new
PowerBooks will run 9 just fine, despite what Apple says. It is possible,
if they really feel like being jerks, that they'll do something to the 9
System Folder they ship so that it won't start the system and is only
usable for Classic, but you should still be able to install your own 9
System Folder on them if you've got a CD.

Any *new* hardware, including the two new PowerBooks, ain't gonna start
into 9 no matter what. Since the 7.1 days Apple always had to either
update the OS or include an enabler file to support new machines; It's
why you can't run 7.5 on your 2400, or 8.6 on your iBook. The OS just
won't boot. Apple's basically said that they're not going to make 9 work
for any future models. Someone might try to hack 9 to get it to boot new
hardware, but it sounds iffy at best -- who knows what kind of changes
they've made. It would be pretty clever if someone could write the right
enabler file to make it happen.

Ivan.