[Duo2400] Re: New G4 Powerbook vs the 2400

Mark A. Kippert mark at helpmymac.com
Thu Jan 9 11:10:19 PST 2003

Andrew W. Hill on 1/8/03 11:14 PM wrote:

> Here's my uses for a PCMCIA slot:
> USB, Firewire, Ethernet, modem, wireless, external video (clumped
> together cause the tibooks got em).
> GPS card.
> Camera media cards
> Something that ain't been invented yet (they didn't have 802.11 in 1997)
>
> Sure, USB widgets are cheap.  But they're not small.  If I havbe a
> flash card reader in my computer, I don't even know I'm carrying it.
> I can just stick in my photos at any time.  When I take my 2400
> places, I don't take anything else.  Usually no AC adapter,
> occasionally a wireless card.  Wetsuit 3.0...

This whole PC Card slot argument always gets me laughing. Not small? Here's
my widget <http://65.187.130.21/LEM/usbwidget.JPG>. When I actually do use
it (I prefer to transfer directly from my camera via the cable) I pull it
out of the same pocket my PC Card adapter used to ride in. You say that eats
camera batteries? I have more than one SmartMedia card because I can't stop
in the middle of what I'm photographing just to transfer files. Besides,
anyone serious about digital photography has more than one set of
rechargeable batteries AND an AC adapter.

GPS? Ya got me there, but in the unlikely event that I would ever need to
know where I am, I would either get one for my Handspring or a standalone
unit. To me that would be far more beneficial to have a smaller GPS device
than a laptop equipped with one.

As for something that ain't been invented, ten bucks says it won't work with
anything less than OSX when it hit's the market.

It seems to me the only honest reason for hanging onto a 2400 (or any other
older PowerBook for that matter) is simply because you just don't need
anything newer. I needed more so I got the iBook. Now I don't have to carry
around a suitcase full of widgets to get the same benefits.

Physically the 2400 is a bit smaller than the iBook (or 12" G4). But once
you throw in all the extra widgets and peripherals for the 2400 then the
only thing you're missing in your suitcase is the kitchen sink.

What additional items did I have to buy when I got my iBook? A travel cable
for my Handspring (you don't need a cradle). That's it. I didn't need my USB
media widget. I bought it on impulse ($9 at the time) and rarely use it.

What did I give up? External CD, extra battery, extra AC brick (because 2
batteries don't last as long as one iBook battery) and a big, fat SCSI cable
for SCSI disk mode. PCMCIA cards? Ethernet, modem, FireWire, USB and
SmartMedia adapter. Oh yeah, my USB zip drive and an Iomega USB CD-RW.

I kept the USB Zip around for use with my iBook but found that I never used
it since it was easier to burn a CD and not have to worry about getting my
Zip disk back. It now collects dust.

Interestingly, since I bought my iBook early last year, I've found that I
rarely ever use my G4 tower at home anymore. I have a dual processor G4
tower with a 19" Sony flat screen CRT and a 17" Apple B&W Studio monitor
connected. It has a gig of memory, 40GB hard drive, DVD/CD-ROM, SCSI card
with tape backup, an external FireWire 40x24x48 CD-RW and a great set of
speakers. Sadly, now I use it about once every two weeks to do some color
critical work in PhotoShop. The rest of the time it's just an AirPort base
station for my iBook. With the release of the 12" G4 PowerBook, I'm planning
selling my iBook and G4 to fund it's purchase.

Sigh, there, I've finally vented.  Guess the big widget thing finally pushed
me to respond. Every time the 2400 vs iBook topic came up I would bite my
tongue, even after I bought one. To me it's like arguing politics. Both
sides are always right...and wrong. So there are SOME of my arguments, good
or bad, right or wrong.

I still love the 2400, I just need more. Oh yeah, I also love my 280c,
PowerBook 1400c and a PowerBook 190c. I also still have an assortment of
210/230s and a number of parts and accessories. I feel bad that they rarely
see use anymore, but I just can't give them up.

-Mark