[Duo2400] Re: Expanding the list

Eric L. Strobel fyzycyst at comcast.net
Tue Jan 14 07:35:21 PST 2003

on 1/14/03 10:17 AM, Big Bird at geary at acm.org wrote:

> If it is intended to be a social discussion list, then it makes a
> lot of sense to expand it to whatever computers the current members
> own. If the list is intend to be for problem solving and technical
> advice, then it seems to me that the new PB G4 and a Duo/2400 would
> have next to nothing in common.

The problem is that it's a mix of these AND different members
perceive/desire a different 'mixing ratio'.  To me there's room for both.
After all, we all have similar issues when it comes to integrating these
devices into our lives.  Also, some troubleshooting approaches are generic
enough that everyone can benefit by observing an issue be resolved, even if
it doesn't apply to their particular machine.  OTOH, topics that are very
specific (such as, for example, finding copies of 68k s/w for the 2x0-series
Duos), one can freely ignore.

I really think there's no wrong answer, just one that's more right for the
majority on this list (whatever answer that turns out to be).  We'll all
keep to being who we are (as a community) and any new folks who join the
list (if the list is broadened) should just be amply warned that there's
going to be a wide range of topics.  And if it doesn't seem to work, then we
discuss it and maybe change the decision.  Nothing's cast in concrete.  But
I don't think people should "vote with their feet".  That would be harmful.
Rather they should "vote with their mouth".

- Eric.

--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)