[Duo2400] Re: Hacks and success on this list

Mark A. Kippert mark at helpmymac.com
Tue Jan 14 08:00:06 PST 2003

Larry Friedman on 1/14/03 10:19 AM wrote:

> Will it work on regular HFS volumes or only on HFS+ ? (That's what I
> love about this list, all this "obsolete" troubleshooting info that
> I've forgotton over the course of time and upgrades)
>
> ~ Larry

Command;Shift;Option;Delete should work with either HFS or HFS+. It just
tells the Mac to start looking for a different drive with an operating
system installed (rather than the internal boot drive). However I don't
remember in what order it searches (ie. first look for a hard drive, then
move on to a removable such as CD, then Zip, etc.).

If I recall correctly, first it looks for another hard drive. If it can't
see one with a system folder on it, then it moves on to look for a bootable
CD-ROM. But again, I don't remember.

Also I'm not sure how it would handle finding another hard drive with
multiple volumes, each with it's own OS. I would imagine it will go with the
first partition on that drive.

-Mark