[Duo2400] Alternate RAM

Andrew Butitta dragoth at dragoth.net
Fri Jan 17 13:59:01 PST 2003

> This topic was discussed one or two weeks ago, but I don't know if  anything
> definate was decided. Someone found a different, cheaper  source of RAM, and
> we were discussing the 100 meg chips. Did anyone  find out if these worked?
>
> ~ Larry

I had mentioned the possibility of using industry-standard ram in the 2400c
after noticing the prices for my Panasonic laptop of similar age. Once I heard
that the 2400c used SO-DIMMs instead of (what I thought) proprietary cards
like its brethren (1400 and 3400), I put the possibility forward that a higher
RAM ceiling may exist for the venerable 2400c.

I myself just ordered a generic EDO SO-DIMM for my laptop, and if it works I
would be willing to donate my non-apple, non-mac, industry-standard 32MB chip
to the cause. If it works in someone's 2400, there is a possibility that other
sizes might as well.

There was a comment made that >96MB modules never existed when the 2400c was
in service. While this may be because of the 2400's memory controller (max.
ram) it may simply be that it was never tried by chipmakers (due to any number
of economic issues).

We'll see... so far it is known that the 2400c takes EDO-DRAM chips of an
unknown speed, packaged on a standard 144-pin Small Outline DIMM and fed 3.3
volts...

Hope this helps.
-Andrew

PS: I do own a Duo, so there's my On Topic for the day! :p