[Duo2400] Re: Alternate RAM

Ivan. ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 15:29:02 PST 2003

>I had mentioned the possibility of using industry-standard ram in the 2400c
>after noticing the prices for my Panasonic laptop of similar age. Once I
>heard
>that the 2400c used SO-DIMMs instead of (what I thought) proprietary cards
>like its brethren (1400 and 3400), I put the possibility forward that a
>higher
>RAM ceiling may exist for the venerable 2400c.

It was my understanding that standard SO-DIMM's up to 32 MB could be
used, but then to go above that required some small customization.
Apple's original stated RAM maximum for the 2400 was 48 MB (16 on board,
32 MB standard JEDEC SO-DIMM).

I don't think it was any big deal to manufacture the 64's, but I think
they only work in a 2400, and regular 64's would not.

As for the 96's, I don't know why those were so hard to do relative to
the 64's. The board was twice as large, for starters. I gather now that
some Japanese hackers have figured out how to modify a standard SO-DIMM
128 (soldering a wire or two on somewhere) to give the machine a total of
144, but I don't know anything about it.

I'll be curious to know what happens from your experiment.

Ivan.