[Duo2400] Re: 8.6 or 9

Patrick Selliers patsel at bredband.net
Sun Jan 19 03:56:04 PST 2003

Well, I had heard that "html rendering lib" (MacOS 9.1, Extensions) improved on the
rendering of html - so I simply copied that extension out of 9.1 and transferred it
into the 8.6 extensions. My subjective impression has been that it works, and so I
have kept it that way...

Other than that I have also felt that 8.6 seemed to benefit from having the ROAM
(applescript+extension) installed - which basically puts the ROM contents into a
protected allocation of RAM during startup - thus speeding up the reading of ROM data
- and upping overall system performance a bit. My experience is that my machine at
least "felt" a bit snappier. This was on my PM 9600, but the 2400 should be able.

http://www.stg.com/employees/sbytnar/projects/rom_accelerator.html

Although I haven´t tried this myself  - using a separate setup in  the extensions
manager excluding extensions for 3D hardware accelleration might prove to speed up 2D
rendering and scrolling when surfing. This is just a guess, though.

Patrick Selliers