[Duo2400] Any other borrowed system component suggestions?

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 20 19:00:34 PST 2003

>I echo, Bob F's comment. Anyone else on the list also found positive
>advantages in grafting extensions out of other OSs onto 8.6 or even
>9?
>
>Ralph, may be worth (?) compiling a page of the most trusted of
>these on mac2400, as a useful reference tool for those who reinstall
>8.6 and then realize they don't remember all the custom additions
>made over time to their system folder. A sort of "What, why, where
>from" thing.
>
>Marc

Yup, thought about it after my HD crashed last year and I had to ask
Sidney what I'd forgotten to upgrade to from OS 8.6.

Comments, suggestions to add/delete to the following list of a
standard 8.6 install?

Source		ITEM		Rationale

?????	- ROAM			New to me....source?
				Puts the ROM contents into protected
RAM allocation

OS 9.1	- html rendering lib		Not critical

OS 8.6	- OS 8.6 Update
	- Carbonlib 1.6		Stability
	- ColorSync 2.6.1		Quality
	- MRJ 2.2.5		Stability?
	- USB Card Support 1.4.1	CardBus-enabled machines
	- MCE Modified USB Drivers	Required for USB Cards on MCE
CardBus enabled 2400s

OS 7.6.1	- CD-ROM driver		Nice to have, Works with some
third-party drives

(Totally off-topic, but FWIW, I booted up my old P520(aka LC II or LC
III?) running Sys 7.6.1  Couldn't believe how fast the Finder felt,
even with the slow harddrive.)

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.