[Duo2400] Re: Replacement PB Duo 270C active matrix screen?

Andrew Butitta dragoth at dragoth.net
Tue Jan 21 17:33:57 PST 2003

> Paul Nelson on 1/21/03 3:00 PM wrote:
>

>> Are you sure of the 280c being faster than the 270c?  I had
>> supposed that the FPU in the 270c might more than make up for the 030-040
>> difference.
>
> The 270c doesn't have a built in FPU. However you can take advantage of an
> FPU if you run the 270c in a DuoDock (FPU was optional in the original Dock
> and standard in the DuoDock II & DuoDock Plus).
>
> -Mark

I have one. It's right there... lower left section of the motherboard. the
processor is in the upper center, under the heatsink / strengthener.

The FPU in the Docks was for the 210 and 230 so they could run photoshop as
quickly as an '040.

Unfortunately in all other things, it's slow. The '040 was a quick chip, and a
worthy successor to the lowly '030. An FPU can't make up for the larger
on-chip caches in the 68040.

-Andy