[Duo2400] Re: Wireless cards

ksantuccijr at earthlink.net ksantuccijr at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 17:38:24 PST 2003

Original Message:
-----------------

From: Mark Semon msemon1 at rochester.rr.com

>Larry, the Skyline card works great. I used it on my 2400. It comes
>with a CD that actually installs MAC OS drivers for this card. If I
>recall, it's the only non-airport card that has mac drivers.

Not So.

I have a Cisco Aironet 340 series card that has drivers for Mac OS 8.6-9.22
and OS X! it works great and the utilities that come with it are top notch
as you would expect from Cisco. The 340/350 series is EOL so there are many
of them making there way into the distribution chanels right now and if you
look around you can find them under $50

I have an AVAYA Branded Orinoco Gold card that I grabed off of eBay a while
back for under $60 that uses the Orinoco drivers.

And of course there are the cards from the likes of MacWireless.com and
Buffalo that also have Mac Drivers

>I do
>know that many here on the list have used the Lucent cards and use
>TomeViewer to strip out the correct driver, etc... to make it work. I
>haven't looked into it in a while, so maybe there are some other
>options out there.

The nice thing about the Lucent cards is that you can run them with the
Apple Airport software so they will likely be supported for some time to
come and you won't have to go hunting up new versions of the software.

>My preference would be the Skyline card. I ran System 8.6 on my 2400
>as it only had the 80 megs of ram.

The Skyline card is great if you never intend to use it with another Mac
and OS X, since Farralon has said that there will be no X update for that
card.

>You do not need a cardbus enabled 2400 in order to use a 802.11 card.

Aloha, Ken