[Duo2400] Re: 2400 audio queries

Ivan. ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 04:06:50 PST 2003

To further expound on this...

The 2400 was unique in that, to save space, it was the only Mac at the
time that did not support any type of microphone input -- it was up to
the user to boost any attached mic to line level, and there were various
solutions for doing so. (There was a $20, battery powered booster from
Andrea Electronics that did the job nicely.)

The input jack on every other Mac was also line-level, but you could use
an Apple PlainTalk mic with it. Those had an extra-long connector on it
which drew 5v from the computer, which it then used to amplify the signal
up to line level. I modified a PlainTalk mic for use with my 2400 by
instead having it draw 5v from the ADB port (so it actually plugged into
both the line in jack and the ADB port).

In general, I found the line in jack on the 2400 to be very noisy, and
not exactly a wonderful solution for importing music. If you've
Cardbus-enabled your machine and have a USB card and OS 9.1, I would
think a Griffin iMic ($35) would perform better (since it does all the
digital/analog conversion outside of the machine), though I don't know
if/how well USB audio works with a USB card -- I've only used my iMic on
my iBook.

Ivan.