[Duo2400] best subnote for writer?

Lela Tong lelatong at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 22:43:47 PST 2003

hi Jeff,

just some thoughts...

i used a 280c for many years -- i did a lot of writing for the
software industry and management training projects -- so, tons of
combo text and graphics.

the keyboard was wonderfully comfortable for me -- but, it does not
last -- this didn't bother me when i first purchased the 280c cuz i
had a warranty and replaced the keyboard every year

btw, i do not have a dock or a desktop so i "lived" on this computer

however, i did have a PC for emailing files -- and i didn't have any
problems with transferring text and graphics (but this gradually
became a problem with people who had newer PC versions -- so u may
need to keep an older computer around and old software)

now without a warranty, the keyboard is a bit of pain and fairly
expensive to replace w/o the warranty

the hinge has also 'broke' -- but, this took about 5 yrs to happen -
and, this may have been done by a careless authorized repair person
(long story) -- i still have to fix it

frankly, i had initially bought the 280c because it was the lightest
laptop at the time -- but since i had to carry all the peripherals
because i spent a lot of time sloughing from one place to another,
the combo was quite heavy and it made me think about getting an
all-in-one -- but u may be stronger than i am and u may be able to
leave the peripherals at home or at the office

another problem is the limited memory -- i used a lot of graphics so
it was a bit of a bear -- another problem now is the software... i'd
love to know where i can find old software for my 280c

sorry, i'm not familiar with the apps which you're using -- i used
apps such as msword, adobe illustrator, pagemaker, excel, and others

btw, when i first got the 280c straight from Apple, there was about
4 things malfunctioning -- so, i'm a bit paranoid about this and
will purchase the warranty

but once everything got repaired, the only prob was the keyboard and
friends wondered why i kept paying for the extended warranty

hope some of the above info helps -- overall, i recommend that u
pick up a newer lighter computer (pref with a warranty)

best,

lela

<http://www.macresq.com>