[Duo2400] Swapping color screen for Duo 280?

ElBrio at aol.com ElBrio at aol.com
Thu Jan 30 05:20:34 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/30/03 3:47:04 AM, rjj2001 at earthlink.net writes:

>I have a Duo 280 that I want to turn into a 280c. I know that the screens
>from
>a 280c and a 270c can be swapped in without other mods. But is the screen
>from the 2300c also the same? Can it be used on a 280?

The easy answer is no.  There are differences in refresh and drive between
the two units.  The 2300 logic will handle ALL Duo displays, but the 2300
display will not work without modification (there was a note sometime back
about this, however I do not remember how it went or if it was very
successful.  I do remember it was a tad complicated and I didn't try it!!),
so the short answer is no.

To be honest, unless you need color, the mono GS screen in the 280 is
excellent.  Life of the battery is quite a bit longer and processor loading
seems much lower.  However, if you need color, two paths exist.  Get a bare
2300 and swap all your good parts onto it, or search here and eBay for a 280c
screen (or parts machine).  Advantage of the 2300 is the IDE drive, the 280
is faster than the 2300 for non-PPC apps.

Cheers!
Andrew