[Duo2400] Re: Duo 280c and modem issue

Eric L. Strobel fyzycyst at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 05:47:47 PDT 2003

on 07/01/03 7:27 AM, Gregg Eshelman at g_alan_e at yahoo.com wrote:

> How do you boot a Duo with the modem removed when
> the power buttons are on the modem?
>
> Is there a list someplace of 3rd party internal
> modems that fit in place of the Apple 14.4 one?
> The 280 doesn't seem like too sluggish of a Mac for
> getting e-mail, but I've not been able to get the
> modem to work on the prototype. :P Tried both settings
> for the internal modem port but it acts like it
> doesn't even have a modem in it.

I thought that if you remove the modem, there's some sort of little
placeholder board that goes in that space and if not present the Duo
wouldn't boot.  Or have I misunderstood that?

Personally, I'd regard that internal modem as a few ounces of ballast and
get an external that plugs into the ADB for power.  These are very
lightweight and carrying a microdock (for the ADB) is less troublesome than
carrying the power brick of an externally powered modem.  (Especially if
you're carrying the microdock anyway...)  Or better yet, I'm sure someone
will pop up with the link for the project to replace the modem with ADB
(which requires said 'placeholder' board mentioned above, but I think these
critters are rare).

- Eric.
--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)