Loose connection on Powerbook Duo 2300c

Richard Bussone richardbussone at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 1 16:56:41 PDT 2003

I had a rather unproductive evening yesterday.  I decided to dismantle
the powerbook when the light started to get bad.  We are currently
converting a tobacco barn into an art studio and a small apartment and
in the meantime are living in a 8x20' camper.  My wife is an artist and
is currently working on a novel while she has no place to paint, which
is why she needs the powerbook.  That is the short story, for the long
version visit our web site at
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~thisoldbarn and the link to
home.earthlink.net/~thisoldbarn2.

I was in the second floor of the barn where there are no lights, so I
decided to go into the camper, which is probably not the best
environment for learning how to take a computer apart.  Anyway, I got
it apart OK, but in the process managed to tear the strip that connects
the trackpad to the rest of the computer.  (I probably should have
waited for dylan to do the translation of genchans website.  I would
like to see it anyway, before I open it up again.)

While I had it open I checked the connection of the AC adaptor, which
seemed to be OK.  So, I decided not to solder it for now.  (No telling
how much damage I could have done with a soldering iron and hot solder
in an 8x20' camper.)  So, now I need a source for that strip.  I did
get some numbers off the strip, I am not sure which are pertinent but
they are 405U   R1000    632-0067  REUA.  I hope it isn't too expensive.

On a good note, after I put it back together, I did have some success
by bending the prongs inside the adaptor together a little.  Is it
possible to use a use a powerbook without a trackpad?

I decided to spend the day today planing boards for the siding of our
barn and wait and see if anyone has any advice on where to get that
strip and about how much it will cost.

Thanks,
Rich