[Duo2400] PC card - Duo Laptop conumdrum...

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 10:11:33 PDT 2003

>1) Surely there are external PC card readers that connect via SCSI ports to
>provide PC card abilities to early powerbooks?

I don't remember any such products, but Scott in another message found
one intended for PC's apparently.

>2) Assuming #1 is a "yes" shouldn't there also be a way to use a PC card
>modem with a duo? or is there a software problem w/ that idea?

I think there would be lots of issues there -- you'd need some kind of
driver so that the OS could see the existence of PC card slots via SCSI.
I don't know if any such drivers exist, since I don't remember any
SCSI-PC Card adapters sold for the Mac. I guess a device that was smart
enough could work with a storage card such as a flash card without
drivers, but that would be it -- there would be no way to use a network
card, a modem card, or any other non-storage PC cards.

>3) Would it be possible to replace the SCSI HD in a Duo 210-280c with a PC
>card reader, for a large Flash Card w/ a PC card adapter? (and to that
>end...)

>4) On the Duo 2300c's Mobo, there is a SCSI and a IDE connector for HDs. I
>am
>wondering would it be possible to make the internal SCSI HD connector into a
>PC card reader?

Even if some such device existed such as you're looking for, it would
probably be tough to fit inside the machine. In theory, if the components
were small enough, perhaps it could work at a technical level -- but
you'd still need a driver. Otherwise the OS wouldn't have any idea there
were PC cards out there -- only some SCSI device it doesn't recognize.

If we're strictly talking about storage, you MIGHT (as in, long shot) be
able to use the computer's internal IDE connector to work with a flash
storage card, since those are designed around the ATA interface, though I
don't know much about the technical specifics involved. There have been
some laptops designed around the Toshiba 1.8" drives (the ones in the
iPods), and those are essentially the same as flash cards from an
interface point of view.

Ivan.