[Duo2400] Re:

ElBrio at aol.com ElBrio at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 10:17:07 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/2/03 12:00:32 PM, grizzlygiant1 at stic.net writes:

<< You just have to

get tabs welded (yes, welded) on the new batteries.  I working on the

feasibility of using Lithium rechargeables in place of the NiMH, but I

probably won't have anything to report for a year or so. >>

Sounds like you're having fun...that is what this list is all about...you'll
get some good feedback on the other questions, I'm sure (I've got the 2300
series units...tho the 2400 is elegant, the battery question kicks it out for
me).  Forget the LiON cells...the charging circuitry is quite complex and, unless
you have an SMD lab, hard to build to fit into the existing cases.  I've
rebuilt 10+ Type III's with standard NiMH cells....2100 mAh or so caps....4/5ths
"A" cells, tabbed from Sanyo.  I get a couple of hours on the 2300 with no
special mods...just the typical things.  Cells cost me around $3-4 each online.

As for the modem...if it is an Apple modem, most any system CD will have the
modem accessories....look for the Express Modem.  I recommend staying away
from any fax software...I've only had problems with the typical
offerings....major PITA for me.  Modem problems, etc. etc. until I pulled all the fax bits and
pieces.  If the modem is the GV, several folks on the 'List have the GV
software...don't know if it is still on the Web.

My 2300 now sits beside my radios running a satellite tracking program....it
is one of the few computers which does not interfere with them...I do some
"weak signals" work as well as satellite comms; PeeCees tend to swamp the radio
spectrum!

Have fun with the Duos, and good luck.

Andrew