[Duo2400] PC card

wayne ingalls ingallsw at frontiernet.net
Wed Jul 2 20:14:09 PDT 2003

Craig asked:

> 1) Surely there are external PC card readers that connect via SCSI
> ports to
> provide PC card abilities to early powerbooks?

there are. I've used the Minolta (CD-10? don't have it in front of me
now)
with a duo before to read a PC card from my digital camera.

> 2) Assuming #1 is a "yes" shouldn't there also be a way to use a PC
> card
> modem with a duo? or is there a software problem w/ that idea?

not likely. I tried it with a few different PC card modems. the PC card
reader
only wanted to read a flash card, it didn't want to see other PCMCIA
devices.

> 3) Would it be possible to replace the SCSI HD in a Duo 210-280c with
> a PC
> card reader, for a large Flash Card w/ a PC card adapter? (and to that
> end...)

if you mean as an external drive, yes that should work.

> 4) On the Duo 2300c's Mobo, there is a SCSI and a IDE connector for
> HDs. I am
> wondering would it be possible to make the internal SCSI HD connector
> into a
> PC card reader?

I don't know if you could get the 2300 to recognize a drive on the IDE
cable along
with a drive on the SCSI cable. even if you could, you would have to
build a custom
cable and find a thinner IDE drive to make both fit as internal units.
you could get
by for a lot less cash by using the external as in (3) above. or buy
yourself a larger
IDE drive and forget about trying to use a flash card as a drive. the
real hard drive
should perform much better and have a longer life than a flash card.

good luck!
-wayne