[Duo2400]

ElBrio at aol.com ElBrio at aol.com
Thu Jul 3 06:15:49 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/3/03 8:58:14 AM, richardbussone at earthlink.net writes:

<< As far as all the comments on the trackball, I am still a little
confused.   Just to make sure I was clear the trackpad is still intact,
but it is the thin ribbon like connector that is torn.  I am not sure
what it is called, but it is thin, red, branches it two and goes to the
cover of the computer where the trackpad is located.  Is everyone
saying that I can't get that ribbon without buying a whole new
trackpad?  Are trackballs more readily available, easier to use,
cheaper or all three?  In any case what and where is the swap list? >>

Rich...that cable is easily torn and, as the Duo has been out of production
for awhile, not easy to find.  The "simple" mod is to get a dead 2XX Duo, gut
it and use the top/bottom plastics and the trackball to replace the dead
trackpad.  I've got a 2300 at home with the trackball...works fine, as the 2300
logic board was designed as an upgrade to the 2XX series Duo, as well as a
complete unit.  It will function with all displays and input devices (ie trackball &
trackpad).  I used to have some Duo bits and pieces floating around...if I can
find a trackball and upper housing (yup, have to get a 2XX series upper as
the 2300 upper is made for trackpad only) I'll email you.

The good part is that lots of folks like trackballs better than trackpads.
Heh..at least it is not that accursed "eraser" pointer foisted on PeeCee users!!

Andrew