[Duo2400] Re: SCSI PC Card readers for Macintosh.

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 15:14:12 PDT 2003

The Newton line wouldn't work with a conventional PC card hard drive,
because they don't use the ATA spec for storage. Rather, they support an
older standard which I forget the name of but I don't think is in much
use anymore, but at one point was a common interface for Flash expansion
cards which were not necessarily intended for file storage but rather
memory expansion.

I remember picking up a 14MB card for my Newton 2000 that someone was
unloading for really cheap...but it wouldn't work as a drive in my
PowerBook, for the same reason (the PowerBook wants an ATA-interface
device). It was actually sold for a DOS PC laptop, and came with some
icky DOS drivers on a floppy to extend the RAM of the PC (rather than
treating it as a drive).

In theory, I guess a Newton driver could be written to support an ATA
disk, and there are enough hackers out there that I wouldn't be half
surprised if it's been done. Personally, though, I'd rather use the slot
in the eMate (even though there appears to be two slots, it's really only
one) for a 802.11 card -- and I know there have been drivers written to
support those. But then, I left the Newton universe long ago...

Ivan.