[Duo2400] 2400 heat & speed

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 21:10:03 PDT 2003

--- Donald McCaig <McCaig at va.tds.net> wrote:
> Dear Gurus,
> 	My lovely two year old IBM 30 G hard drive has
> died. DT&T will
> replace it - but . . . Apparently there's a 7200 rpm
> IBM hd on the market.
> Better but is better hotter? My 240 (w heat sink)
> takes heat babying as is.
> Will the 7200 rpm raise the heat vs the present
> 4200?

Heck yes. Faster drive RPM = more heat. It's
unavoidable, much of it is from the platters stirring
up the air inside the drive. Hard drives have vents
to draw in outside air and for hot air to get out.
The airflow is important. If it's blocked the drive
will either self destruct from heat buildup or the
air will get so hot that it's no longer dense enough
to ram between the heads and platters (the Bernoulli
Effect) to keep them "flying" and then it's HEAD CRASH
time.

Besides that, the IDE interface in the 2400 can't
take advantage of the faster data transfer speeds
of ATA 33/66/100 drives. I wouldn't go over a 5400
RPM drive. What can improve overall performance is
a larger RAM cache onboard the drive. Data accessed
from there can be transferred at the maximum speed
the IDE interface can handle.

=====
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." Hiro Protagonist