[Duo2400] Re: somewhat OT: ISPrecommendation?

Nathan Arthur Elliott nelliott at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Wed Jul 16 13:34:49 PDT 2003

sorry I was being confusing, I was not understanding what you were
asking I think.  With a "passthrough" (aka without an ISP) Qwest
simply provides a connection to the net and dns service.  Concerning
owning your own dowmain, when you purchase/registar the usually there
is a yearly fee often includes the insertion into the root dns
servers.  Consiquently I do not know many people who run thier own
dns servers (asside for proxy).  In otherwords is usually covered in
the registration fee....

as for the pass through...  it allow me to "pass through" were most
people would have an ISP.  Internet Service Providers are not
neccissary for DSL unless you want a mail address or web space in
thier domain...  The ISP's provide no functional routing or
connection for Qweust

Additionally, for an end user, even if the passthough did not provide
a DNS server you could use someone elses because they are free (no
login/pass etc......)...

Probably a better way to go about doing this is to tell me what you
are trying to do with a domain.  I feel like I am shooting in the
dark.  Most people set up a routing/firewall (go bsd because it will
route on level2, and not have an IP so it can not be attacked).  The
router/firewall then has the option of going through a packet
sniffer/logger (intrusion detection) or strait to the hub/switch.
Most people usually have a number of dedicated boxes behind the
firewall and the routing enables port redirection.  The
DomainName/DNS is just how the end user gets to the router
essentially.  I have never run my own DNS, although those who have
said it was not difficult......

mabee that answers eveything??
email me at: Nelliott at gladstone.uoregon.edu if you more questions...
Best
Nathan Elliott
-------------------

> I'm not sure what you mean by "DNS servers are free to all."  When
you
> register your domain name and point it to a static IP address, your
domain
> 'foo.net' and its corresponding IP address is propogated throughout
the net
> by the registrar.  Anything else, however, is up to you.  If you
want
> 'www.foo.net' or 'ftp.foo.net' to resolve, you'll have to provide
that
> yourself. Right?
>
> Additionally, a DSL connection requires termination on the other
end.  When
> you said you have Qwest passthrough service, who is terminating the
other
> end of the DSL line?  Does Qwest provide termination right onto the
Internet
> backbone or do you have some other service provider terminating
your DSL line?

> -tom
>

> Nathan Arthur Elliott wrote:
> >
> > Wow, that must be nice brandy...
> > Tom: DNS servers are free to all, so I am actually using a list
of
> > root dns servers a friend gave me because the qwest dns servers
were
> > slower.
> >
> > The only thing an ISP provides when it comes to DSL is an email
> > accoutn and a few megs of web space (at $20+ a month).  The ISP
are
> > not neccisary for connection, and the dns servers are provided by
> > quest, or others... (like I said I use the root DNS servers)
> >
> > does that answer you questions?
> >
> > If you wanted to host a domain, a static IP is another $5 a
month...
> > but with a router it rarely changes, and is good enough for loose
> > server purposes (especially with a power backup for the router).
> >
> > In addition I got my first bill from quest today, and due to a
> > promotional deal I am only paying for the passthough each month
($8)
> > for the next six months; (although it was about $50-70 for
> > installation, Ill have to look)
> >
> > Best,
> > Nathan Elliott
> >
> > -------------------
> > >
> > > Get a staic IP if you want to host your OWN Domain!
> > > I have Sbcglobal in Los Angeles with 2 static IP's for my
servers.
> > DHCP for
> > > the  home network,  Office has a T1. Aside from SBC I have
AOL, MSN
> > also for
> > > Dial ups when out and about! And I have Quest in my house in
> > Seattle (offer
> > > broadband with the rental hehehehe) Cable at the house in
Portland.
> > And
> > > Satellite DSL at the house's in Cresent City and So. Lake
Tahoe.

<DuoList-off at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> > > To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
> > <DuoList-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> > > Need help from a real person? Try.
> > <DuoList-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> > >
> > > ----------
> > > Dr. Bott  | 10/100 Ethernet for your 2400 is finally here!
> > > MPC-100   | <http://www.drbott.com/prod/mpc100.html>
> > >
> > >   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
> > Traveler
> > >   CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
> > <http://roadtools.com>
> > >
> > > Midwest Mac Parts  ][  <http://www.midwestmac.com>
> > > After-market parts  for Macs.   ][  888-356-1104 ][
> > >
> > > MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200
Only