[Duo2400] Re: somewhat OT: ISP recommendation?

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 16:45:10 PDT 2003

--- Nathan Arthur Elliott
<clip>
> as for the pass through...  it allow me to "pass
> through" were most
> people would have an ISP.  Internet Service
> Providers are not
> neccissary for DSL unless you want a mail address or
> web space in
> thier domain...  The ISP's provide no functional
> routing or connection for Qweust

With your own domain name and a broadband connection
you can run your own e-mail, web and FTP servers.
It's easiest if you get a fixed IP but there are
services that will supply a URL for HTTP/FTP and
automatically track your non-fixed IP so that changes
are transparent to others. Look up "dynamic DNS".
Some of those services are even free.

Windows NT/2000/XP have e-mail, web and FTP
services "built in" (along with Telnet). You just
have to start and configure them. Linux also has those
services.

=====
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." Hiro Protagonist