Duo internal modem VS DuoDock modem?

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 19:04:17 PDT 2003

then Jutso wrote:
>Looking at the service manuals, I see that the illustration of the parts
>in question is not the same -- the internal modem (Apple's, anyway) has
>its connector all along its side, whereas the Dock "modem" has a much
>narrower connector to the Dock logic board. The Dock "modem" is also much
>thinner from side to side than the int. modem.

Arrgh, my mistake for my choice of wording there. I meant the components
on the boards look similar, not that the boards themselves are
interchangable.  Sorry about that! They are not, AFAIK, though if I
wasn't too lazy to go look I'd know in a few short minutes.

With the idea that the expansion conn. signals (the modem related pins
anyway) reveal _something_ relevant, as usual here's more info than
anyone really wants:

Main expansion connector signal assignments

68             +5V MODEM       +5 V power for modem
69             LINET/R         Modem DAA line talk/receive
75, 76,
 151, 152      DAA GND         Modem ground
143            DAA CNTLF       Modem DAA control
144            DAA ID IN       ID input from 152-pin connector to modem
card
145            /RING DET       Ring detect signal from the modem DAA
146            /RB DVR         Modem relay B driver
147            /RA DVR         Modem relay A driver

I have no idea what it all means, however I _DO_ know there's a clue in
there somewhere!

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700