Cardbus on boot using OS 9

Brian Getz briang113 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 17:30:12 PDT 2003

Fellow listers,

The other day I was rereading Ivan's account of OS X
on his 2400. I was thinking about trying it, but
decided against it.

Anyway I was intrigued by his problem of the 10/100
ethernet card issues and finding a cheap Compusa house
card and using the chipset manufactures drivers and
getting it to work using OS 8 because OS 9 hotswap not
supported and as you know you can't boot with a
cardbus card installed under OS 9.

Well I wanted to use 100 base T on my 2400 and decided
to buy a Compusa card and play around.  Picked up a
10/100 cardbus at compusa(by the way they hide them so
you don't know they have a cheap one, had to ask for
it.)

Well I took it home and suprise the Mac drivers are
included but not mentioned on the box.

Anyway to the good part. I found after much
experimenting. I found that use the Realtek drivers(
download available at the Realtek website, RTL8139
driver for Mac OS 9 install it and not the Compusa
one, start the computer in OS 9, then restart( not
shut down and powerup) and insert the 10/100 card
after the bong the 2400 will bootup. Select TCP/IP and
choose "Ethernet slot RTL8139", suprise you have
10/100 ethernet under OS 9.

Okay here is the tricky part when are done, you must
unselect the TCP/IP RTL8139 to disable card before you
eject it. then shut down.

Also everytime you want to use the card boot up first
restart and insert as described above, then reslect
driver.

I don't know why it works but it does everytime. I
know it is kloogy(sp) and a lot of work but if you
don't already have a 100 baseT ethernet card and want
one that works on the cheap (19.99) there you go.

Of course you must have a cardbus enabled 2400

Brian

=====
Brian
Personal Email briang113 at yahoo.com